How can you tell if someone you know is reliable? Well, you cannot. Even if things go according to plan, it will take years of constant interactions to determine whether or not someone is worthy of your trust.
The best background check services make it simple to confirm someone’s identity and obtain useful information about them. You might even be able to track down and reconnect with long-lost childhood friends. Furthermore, you could learn everything there is to know about your first date before meeting them. Finding the right background check services is critical, and there are thousands to choose from.
We did the research and, in this article, we will tell you about the best background check services. So, let us get started.
Best Background Check Sites of 2021:
Below is the list of the best background check services for you, as determined by a thorough examination of all available sites:
- TruthFinder – Best Choice for Criminal Background Checks
- Instant Checkmate – Best for Social Media Checks
- Intelius – Best for Quick Checks
Let us get into a brief review of the best background check sites.
#1. TruthFinder – Best Choice for Criminal Background Checks
TruthFinder provides customers with unlimited background check services, which is ideal for individuals who want to conduct multiple checks on different people. The website contains a wealth of information on each individual you are researching or looking for.
It provides a variety of the best background check service features, including public and private databases as well as self-monitoring tools so you can see what other people may find out about you.
It has a simple user interface. Customers can sign up for one of two plans — monthly or two-month — with the latter offering a nice discount. TruthFinder has eliminated the mass of unhelpful background check reports that customers typically have to wade through in favor of factors such as:
- Birth Certificates
- Information on How to Contact Us
- Education Regarding Traffic Records
- Relatives with Criminal Records
- Assets and Location History
- Profiles for Dating
- Data claimed to be highly accurate
- Background check service report includes a family tree graphic
- Reverse address search
- Unlimited searches
- Mobile app available
- Self-monitoring feature
- Extra costs
- No free trial
How Much Do Background Checks Cost?
TruthFinder background check provider has three background check pricing options:
- For $27.78/month, you can get unlimited background checks and reverse phone searches if you sign up for a one-month membership.
- Two months of membership will cost you $23.02/month.
- A recurring subscription to get unlimited reverse phone searches costs $4.99.
- A PDF report will cost an additional $2 to download.
- People Search – This feature can assist you in quickly locating people. You can look up anyone using only their names, phone numbers, or addresses. This basic information check is available for free.
- Background Checks – This background checks feature allows you to find background reports that include names, ages, dates of birth, locations, known friends, and so on.
- Criminal Record Checks – According to Truth Finder, its Criminal Record Database contains real crime data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other U.S. agencies.
- Reverse Phone Lookup – This feature allows you to identify the owner of a phone number by using the phone number itself.
Customers gave TruthFinder four out of five stars. Members use TruthFinder to reconnect with friends and family, as well as to stay safe online and in real life.
Customers are extremely pleased with the thorough background check report provided by this website. They are also pleased with TruthFinder’s customer service system. The only complaint about customer service was that users received an excessive number of promotional emails.
#2. Instant Checkmate – Best for Social Media Checks
Instant Checkmate is a website for people searching with an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau and over 70,000 five-star reviews. Instant Checkmate is one of the few background checking sites that allows non-subscription users to access information and has over one million registered members.
This website may be useful if you only need to run a few background checks. Instant Checkmate gives you instant access to criminal and police records, which would otherwise take days to obtain. It is important to note, however, that the accuracy of the information provided by this site varies.
- Five-day free trial
- Rated A+ by BBB
- Customer privacy is priority
- Customer support is responsive and helpful
- Know about unknown callers
- Standard unlimited reports
- No buying option for individual reports
How Much Does It Cost?
- For a one-time fee of $1, you can try out all of Instant Checkmate’s services for a five-day period.
- Instant Checkmate requires membership to access its services after your trial period has ended.
- The cost of a single month’s membership is only $35.
- You can get a discounted quarterly membership for three months for $28 per month.
- A small fee of $5 is required for the phone number search feature.
- Unlimited Background Reports – You have unlimited access to as many background reports as you want with the Instant Checkmate membership.
- Location and People Search – Using a person’s name, you can learn about their location and much more.
- Reverse Phone Lookup – Using only a person’s phone number, you may be able to identify them.
- Email Search – You can find out a person’s name, address, phone number, and location history by searching their email address.
Instant Checkmate is proud of its responsive, helpful, and courteous customer service representatives who are always eager to assist users. Thousands of happy and satisfied customers have given Instant Checkmate a five-star rating. Moreover, this site’s users appreciated the information provided about their relatives and friends.
#3. Intelius – Best for Quick Checks
When compared to the other background check services on this list, Intelius is a little different. That is because they cater to the average person looking to conduct a quick background check.
Intelius can be used to reconnect with old friends and family members, to distinguish genuine callers from spam calls, to check criminal and arrest history, to review property and assets, and to learn about the people in your life.
Its report includes phone numbers, addresses, ages, relatives, and dates of birth. A reverse phone lookup will provide you with details about a specific phone number, which contains information such as a person’s name, phone number, and address.
- Instant access to reports
- Provides education reports
- Has multiple packages
- Has Intelius connection engine
- Private and confidential searches
- Not FCRA-compliant
- Results are not very accurate
How Much Does It Cost?
Intelius provides a variety of services at reasonable prices:
- Premier Plus package costs $30
- Premier-only package costs $20
- Background check costs $40 (which is a little steep)
- $30 for a criminal background check that covers the entire country
- Reverse phone lookup for $1
- Access to the people searches for $1
- Intelius Connection Engine – You can click on each connection to get more information and potentially expand your contacts list.
- Public Records Report – By using this service, you can avoid the time-consuming task of searching through each public record individually for information.
- Premier People Search Tool – Intelius’ reliable and thorough search tool provides you with the information you need in just a few clicks.
- Background Checks – If you ever need to know about a person’s past and present without their knowledge, this might be the best option.
Customers of Intelius have said their customer service system is satisfactory, but the phone support could be better. To respond to their users’ questions and problems, they need to increase the number of representatives in their customer support system.
During the trial period, users were dissatisfied with the reports. Intelius, on the other hand, has received a mixed response from its customers.
#4. US Search – Best Reverse Email Checks
For those on a tight budget, US Search is the best background check service. Despite its unappealing web design, this site offers accurate background reports and useful search tools at a low cost.
They offer a wide range of search options, including some that are relatively uncommon, such as social media account username and property record searches. Every report you generate with US Search will include every piece of publicly available data on the person in question.
It did not return a lot of email addresses, but that differed from person to person. However, many other services we tested failed to find the email addresses it found. Although this service did not find any of our subjects’ marriages, the information on the reports was mostly up to date.
- Billions of public records
- Search without membership
- Information is up to date
- Various search options
- Marriages not found
- Not much detail about its features
How Much Does It Cost?
Although US Search offers free background checks and searches, a membership is required to receive a detailed analysis of all of the results. The following are the various prices that US Search offers for their services:
- Background check costs $15
- Criminal record search in a single state costs $40
- Monthly subscription costs $20
- People search costs $2.45
Background checks, social network search, reverse phone lookup, people search, email search, property records, and criminal records are among the services and features that US Search promises to provide.
The features offered by US Search are not as extensive as those offered by the other sites in this review. This is an area where there is a lot of room for improvement. The services it provides are fairly basic but reasonably priced.
You will get to know about a person’s address, phone number, property, or criminal record, but there is no dark web scanning or information about what its various services do or how they work.
Customers have reported that US search frequently produces incomplete and incorrect reports, so do not rely on it for important information. However, you can easily use it to get information about anyone in the United States, including their location, address, phone number, and social media accounts.
#5. PeopleFinders – Best Choice for Basic Background Checks
This background check company, which was founded in 1999, is one of the oldest background check services available. With age comes experience, and this company’s longevity in the industry means you can trust it to provide high-quality service to its customers.
Paying for its background check subscription has some benefits, especially if you plan on running many reports over a long period. However, you should be aware that this information cannot be used to make rental or employment decisions. You will need to contact a consumer reporting agency for that.
- Most accurate service
- Amazing customer service
- Mobile app available
- Easy to use
- Social media information not available
How Much Does It Cost?
There are various packages, including:
- Report costs $1.95
- Monthly subscription costs $24.95/month
- Background check costs $39.95
PeopleFinders has one of the most user-friendly interfaces of any of the background check sites we have looked at. You can complete a search in a matter of minutes.
PeopleFinders comes with several standard features. A people search report can be used to look up a phone number, an address, or other basic information, while a background check report can get more detailed information.
PeopleFinders can help you find out what you need to know about someone. Keep in mind, however, that viewing detailed records requires the premium service.
People finding the information they needed to contact people were mentioned in most of the positive reviews we read. In contrast, a frustrating interface and inaccurate information were among the complaints of negative reviewers.
You can quickly and easily locate the information you require. If you do not, though, you can always get in touch with their friendly customer service team. Also, cancellation of their services necessitates contacting the customer service department as well.
#6. PeopleLooker – Best Value
PeopleLooker offers a comprehensive background check service that allows users to learn everything they need to know about a person. Users can also look into civil records, criminal histories, contact information, previous addresses, and more, thanks to this company’s extensive reach.
It provides a comprehensive, very detailed report with unlimited searches. PeopleLooker also has downloadable apps that allow you to look into a person’s past while on the go.
- Attractive interface
- Easy to use
- Confidential searches
- App available for both iOS and Android
- Bad customer service
How Much Does It Cost?
- Free Trial costs $1
- Membership costs $24.95 per month
- Premium Membership costs $29.95 per month
- Enterprise Solution can have variable cost
- People Search – You can specify one or more parameters to help narrow down and improve the accuracy of your search. You can also enter a person’s address, email, or phone number in addition to their first and last name. PeopleLooker also displays the following information:
- Phone number
- Closest relatives
- Social media
- Criminal record
- Marriages and divorces
- Information Removal
People also use PeopleLooker, or any other background check site, to look up their own names and see what kind of information they can find. Frequently, the information they discover is inaccurate or insufficient.
Fortunately, you can opt-out of any false data about you using the PeopleLooker information removal service. Simply follow the website’s instructions. It takes about 24 hours for the information on the website to vanish after the request has been submitted and approved.
- Property Check
For most people, buying a home is a once-in-a-lifetime investment, so making the right decision is critical. You can check ownership history, projected value, associated taxes, square footage, and when the property was built using PeopleLooker’s address lookup service.
You can also get a better sense of the neighborhood by using PeopleLooker’s comprehensive property search capabilities. You can learn more about the local businesses that serve the community as well as amenities like parks and community centers, schools, and demographics in the area.
We were not particularly impressed with the customer support team while conducting research for our PeopleLooker review. The agent we spoke with gave us some generic information and seemed uninterested in assisting us. You can cancel your subscription at any time by contacting their customer service department by phone or email.
#7. BeenVerified – Best for Beginners
BeenVerified, based in New York, is a website that collects public records and makes them easily accessible to users. You do not have to go out on the streets and knock on doors to get certain forms and addresses. BeenVerified has most of the records you will need, and for a small fee, you can get access to them.
BeenVerified has also been featured in many publications, including TechCrunch. Although the portal only provides access to public records, it is extremely useful for those who are not computer savvy. It also simplifies gathering various types of data from other businesses.
- Excellent customer support
- Wide variety of benefits
- Easy to use
- Quality mobile app
- Gives comprehensive reports
- Simple plans and affordable rates
- Search takes too long
- Not very accurate results
How Much Does It Cost?
- A one-month subscription costs $26.89.
- A three-month subscription costs $17.84 per month.
- People Search:
The service’s main draw and perhaps the best of its kind on the web is BeenVerified’s people search, which returns a slew of publicly available information on anyone you search for. Fill in a person’s first and last name, as well as any other basic information you have on hand, such as date of birth or an approximate location, to get better results.
BeenVerified provides a detailed report on the person, which may include the following details:
- Known aliases and names
- Date of birth and age
- Current location
- Address history in its entirety
- Numbers to call
- Possibly related relatives
- Email addresses
- Information about your criminal background
- Information on sex offenders
- Records from the courts
- Records of marriages and divorces
- Photos that are currently available
- Records of taxation
- Profiles on social media
- Reverse Phone Lookup:
Receiving calls from unknown numbers, including prank calls and scams, is a nuisance that everyone has to deal with; but, thankfully, BeenVerified’s reverse phone lookup feature can help identify the callers.
BeenVerified searches billions of data points for information on an unknown caller when you enter their phone number. Regrettably, reverse phone searches are not as effective as people searches.
- VIN Search:
This tool allows you to look up a vehicle’s VIN or vehicle identification number to learn detailed information about that vehicle’s history.
When you enter a vehicle’s 17-digit VIN number, BeenVerified searches its database for information related to that vehicle. The VIN is located on the driver’s side dashboard in the front area.
The customer service team at BeenVerified is almost always available and responsive to customer concerns. Their customer service phone line is open 17.5 hours a day, seven days a week, and representatives respond quickly and thoroughly to customer questions submitted through the site or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
#8. GoodHire – Easy to Use
One of the most comprehensive background checks we reviewed is GoodHire. It offers the standard criminal background check, but you can also add data like credit history, education and employment verification, and healthcare sanctions to your report.
We found the site to be easy to navigate and use, with a well-organized online portal. There is a one-time setup fee and a variety of package options available, depending on your company’s screening requirements.
- Outstanding customer service
- Regularly updated compliance policies
- Variety of background checks
- For both large corporations and small businesses
- Modern platform
- Reports on your resume, education, and previous employment history
- Additional pricing for complexity and time
How Much Does It Cost?
- A Social Security number trace, nationwide criminal database search, and Sex Offender Registry search are all included in the Basic plan, which costs $29.99 per search.
- The Standard plan adds a search of county court records for up to three counties and a check of the U.S. domestic watch list for $54.99 per search.
- The cost of a premium search is $79.99, and it includes verification of the subject’s education and work history.
- There is a one-time setup fee of $49.99 for each of these plans.
GoodHire provides the following features:
- Background Checks
- Credit Checks
- Drug Screening
- Healthcare Sanctions
- International Checks
- Ongoing Alerts
- Peer-to-Peer Screening
- Personal Background Checks
During U.S. Pacific business hours, GoodHire provides phone support. The company’s website also includes a large documentation center with answers to frequently asked questions and additional information about the searches that GoodHire provides.
#9. RentPrep – Best for Criminal History
Any landlord or property manager can use RentPrep as a tenant screening service. RentPrep is probably best for landlords who manage one to 25 units. Similar screening features may already be available to those who use comprehensive property management software systems.
When most reports provide instant information from a single database, RentPrep researches multiple record sources by hand to create each report. As a result, its reports are more thorough, including eviction and criminal records that are misfiled and never make it into databases.
- Unique packages
- Criminal reports covering 50 States
- Good customer support
- Manual report creation
- TransUnion credit checks
- Limited reference checks
- Limited by local data sources
How Much Does It Cost?
- SmartMove Full Credit Report
The Full Credit Report from SmartMove costs $38.00.
For $4.95, you can add a judgments and liens report.
For $10.00, you can add an income verification report.
- RentPrep Background Check
The basic RentPrep Background Check costs $18.95.
For $4.00, you can add an additional criminal and sex offender search.
For $9.95, you can get a credit decision report.
For $10.00, you can get an income report.
- Credit Checks:Every landlord considers credit checks to be extremely important. They are a good indicator of whether or not a prospective tenant will pay their rent on time.
- Criminal Background Checks: RentPrep can quickly locate this type of information thanks to its criminal records database, which contains over 200 million files.
- Eviction and Residence History: The company digs up details on the incomplete evictions in addition to basic information on the applicant’s eviction history. This occurs when a tenant pays rent after receiving a notice to vacate.
This service’s strengths are customer service and report accuracy, which comes with hiring FCRA certified screeners to run reports instead of instant reports.
- Phone Support:
Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. EST
- Email Support and Live Chat:
Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. EST
Friday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. EST
Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. EST
#10. PeopleSmart – Best Customer Service
PeopleSmart is a smart identity search engine that allows users to look up information about people by entering their name, phone number, email address, or social media handle. Users simply type in the information they are familiar with and are presented with a list of records that match.
- Easy-to-use site
- Organized results
- Save searches
- Minor records for changes
- Centralized user dashboard
- No criminal records
How Much Does It Cost?
PeopleSmart is a cost-effective tool to use. By entering their credit card information, users can sign up for a 7-day trial for just $1. After the 7-day trial period, users will be charged $29.99 per month plus applicable sales tax.
- Recent Reports: You can keep track of your searches if you pay for a subscription. All of your searches are listed under recent reports on the dashboard. You can review the record again and even download a PDF file of the record by clicking on it.
- Account Information: The user dashboard has easy-to-find account information. It provides your member ID, email, order history, and allows you to update personal information.
- Monitoring: Up to ten reports can be monitored with a subscription. If any monitored record is updated or changed, the user will receive an email notification. To use the feature, simply click the “Turn Monitoring On” button to begin receiving notifications.
The customer service of PeopleSmart is phenomenal. Users of PeopleSmart have access to support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Customers can contact customer service by phone or through a contact form.
Conclusion: Which Background Check Service Should You Go For?
These are the best background check services recommended for you. To sum up this article, background check services can also be referred to as reference check software. However, TruthFinder and Instant Checkmate have the most accurate services.
All of the aforementioned top picks include various features and tools to assist users in locating all of the information they require in determining whether or not they can trust someone.